Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Today is National Read a Road Map Day! Maps do more than show us where we’re going, they reflect the planning, engineering, and community input that shape how we move through Franklin County. From road improvements to stormwater systems, every project starts with a plan. #ReadARoadMapDay
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Groveport Road, between Lithopolis Road and Gender Road, is closed due to high water. The road will remain closed until the water has subsided.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
The Cleveland Avenue Safety Improvement project is progressing nicely. The project includes road upgrades, improved lighting, and enhanced pedestrian crossings. Thanks to our contractor, Strawser Paving Company, for working hard on this project. Check back soon for updates.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
April is Ohio Native Plant Month, a time to recognize the plants that do more than beautify our landscapes. Native plants help manage stormwater, reduce erosion, and support healthy drainage systems throughout our communities. Small changes in landscaping can make a big impact. #OhioNativePlantMonth
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
The Franklin County Engineer’s Office held a public meeting this evening to share information about the Cassady Avenue Improvements Project. Thank you to the Howard Community Center for hosting us and to the community members who attended, asked questions, and shared their feedback. Your input is an important part of the process!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
April is Records and Information Management Month! At #TeamFCEO, we understand the importance of organizing, protecting, and maintaining accurate records. Whether it’s project files, permits, or public documents, effective records management keeps our work efficient and accountable. We appreciate our Records Department for their dedication to keeping everything in order all year long! #RIMMonth
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org

Follow Us

Top
 

Surveyor’s Journal Entry Nineteen

Surveyor’s Journal Entry Nineteen

Public Health Issues Intensify the Need for Open Land and Preservation

The calls for more open land by a growing populace were intensified by Franklin County’s first major outbreak of “fever” in 1823. Unaware of the causes of the pestilence, many sought to relocate from the urban areas of Columbus and Franklinton where most of the victims resided.

Those who succumbed to illness included Deputy Surveyor and Franklinton founder Lucas Sullivant and Columbus proprietor John Kerr in 1823, and Franklin County Surveyor Joseph Vance in 1824.

Throughout the 1800s, Malaria, Cholera, and Typhoid Fever claimed thousands of lives in Franklin County and caused more than a third of the population to become displaced in the wake of seasonal epidemics.

Overwhelming use of the city’s North Cemetery, at the site of today’s North Market, lead to the establishment of Green Lawn Cemetery, in 1849, on the 300-acre Miner Family farm located 2.5 miles southwest of the Statehouse. The park-like setting was created by Howard Daniels (nationally renowned landscape designer) and Joseph Sullivant (Lucas Sullivant’s youngest son, educator, and philanthropist) who was the President of the Green Lawn Cemetery Association.

Dr. Lincoln Goodale (the county’s first physician, noted businessman, and brother-in-law of James Kilbourne) was an early advocate for the preservation of open space that would benefit public health. In response to the right-of-way demands of the Columbus and Xenia Railroad, the area’s first train service, Dr. Goodale deeded 44 acres of downtown land to Columbus, in 1851, to create Goodale Park.

East of downtown, the Franklin County Agricultural Society purchased 88 acres of pasture land along Broad Street, in 1852, for the establishment of Franklin Park. It was the site of the Franklin County Fair until 1886 and the Ohio State Fair from 1874 to 1885. The Franklin Park Conservatory was built there in 1895.

In 1867, the City of Columbus purchased 23 acres in the German Village neighborhood from David Deshler (carpenter, entrepreneur, and banker), his son William Deshler (businessman and philanthropist), and Allen G. Thurman (Lawyer, Ohio Supreme Court Justice, and U.S. Senator) for $15,000 to create City Park. The land, previously owned by Francis Stewart (County Sheriff, businessman, and philanthropist), was one of the earliest gathering places for public recreation and community events. “Stewart’s Grove” was the site of the city’s Independence Day celebration in 1830 and the Ohio State Fair in 1864 and 1865. Upon their acquisition of the Stewart property, in 1866, the Deshlers and Thurman agreed that the grove area would remain open to the public. The bucolic meadow was rededicated as Schiller Park, honoring Friedrich von Schiller (famous German poet and dramatist), in 1891.

Despite the preservation of open spaces for public respite and recreation, Franklin County’s burgeoning highways of the time would serve as seasonal escape routes and newly surveyed out lots, with clean water, would be safe havens. The travails of stagnant and contaminated water and sewer run-off, that caused much of the disease, would not be sufficiently addressed until the start of drinking water and sewage treatment by the City of Columbus in 1908.